Saturday 27 June 2015

Software Applications

Cost X

This is the first software introduced to us which is related to a QS working in a Construction Company later. When I was first introduced to this software, it was fun because other than memorizing notes, we only have to memorize the steps in measuring elements.

Throughout the syllabus, we were given a task of comparing 3 computer software available in the market and choose the best software among them. We did this in a group of 4. The biggest challenge is that we were not familiar with the software available in the market and thus we did researches for in the internet in order to do comparison.

Besides, I find that the lecture and tutorial class is interesting as it is a new way of learning. We measure materials and elements through softcopy of plan drawing. Besides, we also create the bill of quantities by using Cost X. By developing the technical knowledge and practical computer skills, I believe that it will be useful for us in the working life later as this is an effective and efficient way of measurement.  

To prepare for final exam, I practice many times as I believe by practicing, it gives a better result. However, I managed to finish the exam question and submitted it on time.

Lastly, I would like to thank Sr Soon in his effort of teaching. The information is effectively and clearly delivered to the extent that we were able to understand him. He is also helpful in solving our queries.


Buildsoft

Initially, I was not used to Buildsoft due to the complexity in using it. I always confuse on the steps of typing a BQ in different sheets, and the building up rates for materials. After trying on exercises given in classes, I found that by using this software, it eases the build up of material rates rather than doing it manually. However, the biggest challenge to me using this software is when creating a price book for materials as I always confuse on the mark up rates and the conversion of units. Well, as I believe practice make perfect, so I keep on trying an error to improve my skill.

To prepare for final exam, I practice quite a lot of time and set time limit for myself so that I will be able to complete the exam question on time. After practicing over and over again, I was able to respond quickly and efficiently during the exam.

Besides, I also found difficulties in finding material rates for the elements I do which is sanitary fittings in the assignment assigned as there are a lot of brands in the market and the rates are different. 

Lastly, I would like to thank Ms Habizah for teaching and guide us during the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment