Saturday 27 June 2015

Measurement 4

In Measurement 4, we are introduced to external works. Different kind of external woks required different types of taking off that is why memorizing the description is the most challenging part.

For measurement assignment, I’ve measured Work Below Lowest Floor Finishes, Sanitary Fittings, Sewerage Works, preparing Form of Contract and other documents like Prime Cost Sum and Builder’s Work in Connection. By doing those parts, I was exposed to different types of work and definitely gained knowledge as I became familiar with those parts I did. At the end of the day, we compile everyone’s work into a complete tender document. It wasn’t an easy job without the help of my group mates. The presentation was done smoothly and I appreciate the comments from the lecturer.

For instance, I was selected to be the leader of the Elemental Cost Analysis (ECA) group. It was shock as I knew ECA is not an easy job at all. Expectedly, we face a lot of queries throughout the whole weeks. There are few times we almost give up as we couldn’t tally the contract sums after we tried on any possible methods. Luckily, my teammates are helpful and work as a team. Some of us even stayed up late in the campus to continue the works.  However, during the presentation, we were told that we made a big mistake in our report and we are required to submit a revised ECA 3 days after. We were quite down when we know that what we did for the whole week was wrong but we did not give up. Instead, we discussed on the solutions together and recalculated everything to revise our mistake. I truly appreciate all the hard works of my group members as we did our best to produce the revised ECA report. Throughout the ECA weeks, we had the sleepless nights, the happy moments and also the hard time. The most important thing is that we all have gained knowledge from the mistakes made and I believe this knowledge will be useful for practice during my internship period. In addition, it was really a great experience working in a team with different people.

I never know this semester will be so busy until I experience the sleepless nights to complete the ECA reports and assignments. I would like to thank our subject lecturer Sr Loo for guiding us throughout the ECA workshop and assignment. He is a very good and knowledgeable lecturer as he is ready to help all the time.

4 sets of Contract Documents for us to carry out Elemental Cost Analysis (ECA)

Our group presenting the ECA report and slides

Picture taken after the ECA presentation, with Sr Loo

After the ECA presentation, all of us stayed back to revise our ECA report 

Elemental Cost Analysis of proposed building

ECA Group A presentation slides

Me, presenting for M4 Assignment
Presentation slides of Measurement 4 Assignment

No comments:

Post a Comment