Saturday 27 June 2015

Estimating

This is a very challenging subject for me where we are introduced to do build up rates for building materials. At first, I found it difficult to understand the syllabus as it is totally a new subject for me. The first challenge we face is that we were assigned in a group of 4 and are required to prepare and present a seminar based on the topic given and work on the build up rates for ‘Concrete Work’. We are also required to tutor our course mates on how to build up the rates. From the process of preparing our script, data, and building up the rates, I develop my understanding of this subject.

After that, we were given an assignment to prepare a complete tender document of a single storey show house. The most challenging part of this job is getting the quotation from the suppliers. We tried many methods of getting quotations such as emailing, through phone call and also visit to shops. We found out that most suppliers are not aware of the emails we sent and hence we made phone calls. Some of the suppliers are very efficient and we got the quotations in few days, but some of them were not really concern about it. Hence, we made visits to hardware shops, doors suppliers etc in Puchong, Old Klang Roads, SS15 and PJS7. I realised that walk in method is the most efficient way of getting quotations as most of the suppliers are willing to share their quotations to us. Somehow, we got rejected by few suppliers.  After getting all the quotations, the leader distributed the works to each of us to do the build up rates for the materials mentioned in the quotation. We also refer to Spon’s books and CIDB websites to get the labour output and labour rates. Besides, we prepared the whole documents and compile it to become a tender document.  As we were not shortlisted for the tender, we were requested to prepare a director evaluation report regarding on the reason why  we were not shortlisted for the job. From the overall process, I get the idea on what a QS consultant does and this is what I am going to do in the near future.

I have developed new knowledge and more expose to the construction society. I also learnt the manner of communication with suppliers in getting quotations, how to work well with groupmates, and time management. I believe that in the working life after I graduate, these will be the things that build up my knowledge and personality.

Lastly, I would like to thank my subject lecturer, Sr Dianne of her effort in developing the skills of build up rates in us, and as well help us in solving our queries throughout the whole semester. 

The build up rates for Concrete Work

Presentation slides of Estimating Seminar


Picture of my group mates and subject lecturer, Sr Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment