Thursday 13 June 2013

Effective Public Communication

Reflection
        For Effective Public Communication [FCOM 0102], there are 4 learning outcomes of this subject. At the end of this module, I am able to explain the concepts of communication, both verbal and nonverbal, and how people behave and communicate in different situations. Besides, I am able to apply the principles of communication and behaviour in analysing interaction with others, both at individual and at group levels. Furthermore, I demonstrate an ability to analyse and response to handling conflict as well as efficient negotiation skills in dealing with variety of individuals. Lastly, I am aware of the importance of cultural differences and respect cultural differences as well as to build healthy and positive relationships with fellow students, co-workers and clients.

        To achieve these learning outcomes, I think that students should read EPC text book more often as I personally think that it is really helpful. Other than that, we should interact more with the people surround us to improve the communicating skill. Besides, we should always read article about the culture of other countries to improve our knowledge as well as respect other cultures besides of our own culture. Lastly, I think students should practice effective listening.

        This subject is interesting because I gained much knowledge after taking this subject. However, I realise that they are still a lot of non-verbal messages to learn in the future as I only know some of them. The learning strategies that have been proved effectively is that I am able to demonstrate an ability to analyse and response to handling conflict as well as efficient negotiation skills in dealing with variety of individuals. Lastly, my understanding towards EPC concept is not strong enough and I should spend more time in improving it.

Class Test
        I sat for a class test in the early of the semester. I personally think that the paper was tough and I couldn’t answer most of the questions.

Individual Essay
        My topic of the individual essay was ‘Despite the great technological advances and more exposure to people of other cultures, divisions between people of different cultures at times seems to have only intensified.’ Based on the question, we need to relate it to the concept found in the text book.

Group Assignment- Illustration and Script
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
        I was in a group of 4 members and the topic given to us was ‘Listening’. This assignment required us to think a story line and draw it as a comic on A3 size paper. The job assigned to Hui Zhen and I was drawing while Yii Shin and Yi Wei think of the storyline and theories applied in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment