Thursday 13 June 2013

English 2

Reflection
        For English 2 [ENGL 0205], we have done 3 class assignments which are observing the vegetable, analysis the Genre of movies and compare them as well as debate in the class.
        After completing all the assignments, I have achieved the learning outcomes of this module. The 4 learning outcomes I have achieved is reading, writing, listening and speaking. At the end of the reading session, I am able to analyse and evaluate reading texts critically. The writing sessions enable myself to research, write a well-developed and well-organized 5-paragraph critical or argumentative essay as well as longer research essays with correct format and referencing techniques. Besides, I am able to identify speaker’s role, expression, relationship and attitude as conveyed through stress and intonation as well as develop listening in preparation for a tertiary programme at the end of the listening process. Lastly, the speaking sessions has developed my interviewing skills, deliver presentations publically as well be able to apply argumentative strategies in specific situations.
        In order to achieve these outcomes, the right attitudes I practice are not giving up easily, learn from the mistakes and always think positively. No one is 100% perfect, so do I. I am not really good in English but I always find my ways to learn and speak to others. I never give up in doing so. And, every time my friends correct my mistakes, I accept them and try to improve it. I as well believe in myself and think positively always. I have to read more English book to improve my reading and writing skills. Besides, I also encourage myself to listen to how people speak proper English and started to communicate with people using English.
        At the end of the semester, I have achieved the learning outcomes of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
        After completing the module, I found out that the reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills are very important in our daily life. It is also useful for my future studies and when I am working in the society. By doing the assignments given in the class, I found out that I am weak in reading and writing. I would always need to read the passage twice to understand it. Besides, I also found out that I need improvement in my grammar as I did some grammar mistakes in my assignments.  The listening strategies has been proved effective as I am able to identify speaker’s role, expression, relationship and attitude as conveyed through stress and intonation as well as develop listening in preparation for a tertiary programme. I think that speaking session can be further improved as I would sometimes stuck and out of words in the middle of the conversation.

Assignments

The Vegetable
The onion and I  
        It was the first assignment given to us and I have chosen onion as my vegetables. In order to complete this circuitous describing essay, I have used the all of the 5 senses of the human body. It is undeniable tough for me to write in depth about the onion.

The Genre Analysis and compare/contrast of movies
        I have chosen 2 historical movies which are ‘Troy’ and ‘The Eagle’. Both of the movies are considered as action films which involve a lot of fighting scenes in the movies. In this assignment, I was assigned to do the contrast between both of the movies.

Class Debate
        We formed a group of 3 members in a group for the debate team and my group members are Osman and Ho Yi Wei. The topic of our debate is ‘The voting age in Malaysia should be lowered to 18 year old’. Osman was the first speaker as well as the rebuttal, Ho Yi Wei was the second speaker and I was the third speaker. We are ‘For’ and support our statement.

Research Assignment
Photo of us with the owners of La Vanille, Penang. 

Photo of us with the supervisor of Bread Story at Sunway Pyramid Branch.    

Photo of us with the supervisor of Free Mori at SS15.
        For this assignment, our task is to do a comparative research on 3 businesses of the same type. Hence, we decided to approach pastry business. During the trip to Penang, my team mate and I had approached La Vanille Pastry Shop. In Klang Valley, we approached Free Mori at SS15 and Bread Story at Sunway Pyramid Shopping Mall.

Video Presentation
Me and Ho Yi Wei

        For the speaking task, every group was given different topic to speak about. I have to speak to a group of visitors to Penang from Western Europe, US and Canada. Hence, my team mate and I worked together to find as much information as we could. I personally think it was quite challenging as there were not much information on the internet.



No comments:

Post a Comment