Wednesday 12 June 2013

Mathematics

Introduction
        An assignment was given to us and we need to work in a group of 4-6 people. This assignment required us to construct the object, determine the total surface area of the object and calculate its volume. Thus, for the e-portfolio, we are to discuss three mathematical theories that we used in order to complete this assignment.
Group Members:
Chung Hui Ping
Ho Yi Wei
Wong Yii Shin
Chin Jen Pang
Sia Yu Rong
Seow Wen Yang
This is the question paper given to us by the lecturer.
The model we constructed
The first mathematical theory applied is trigonometry.

This formula is only applied for right angle triangle.
I had applied tan x = Opposite/Adjacent to find the angle of the triangle when its length of opposite and adjacent sides are given.  

The second theory I applied is Area of a segment.

Refer to the picture above, area of a segment is the area confined by circumference and chord.
Thus, to find the shaded area of a segment, I have applied the formula of ½ r2 (θ – sin θ).

Lastly, I have calculated the volume of pyramid by using the formula below.
Volume of pyramid = 1/3 x Base Area x Height

By using this formula, we are able to calculate the volume taken out from the cylinder.

Below are the formula sheets of our assignment :-

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5

Reflection
As a conclusion, this assignment was challenging at first as we do not have the idea on how to construct the model and we were not sure which formula should be use in order to solve the problem. However, me and my team mates gathered and discussed in a group and we finally solved it. It was a great experience for me and I find it interesting though. At the end of this assignment, I realised that mathematic is not an easy subject and needs to do a lot of exercises for improvement. Besides, I also gained mathematical knowledge and know what formula should be use under different circumference.

No comments:

Post a Comment