Saturday 7 December 2013

Building Materials

Assignment 1
My team members and I.

The picture shows that I am presenting my parts.
        The first assignment required us to form a group of 5 members and carry out a presentation on a building material. The building material that we have chosen is timber. We were asked to search for the information about timber including the types of timber, properties, function, advantages and disadvantages. We had distributed parts among the group members. Before that, Puan Has gave us a short briefing about what we required to do. She prefers us to refer to the books in the library rather than the sources in the internet.
        On the presentation day, my group mates and I were the first group to present. All of us were nervous, but we did our best to make it a good presentation. During the presentation, we tried not to read out everything in the slides but to understand and memorize the important keywords. We also make the slides as short as possible but informative.

Assignment 2

The outer look of Starhill Gallery.
The floor plan of Starhill Gallery.
The inner look of Starhill Gallery.
         In second assignment, we were asked to visit to a building and observe three building materials that can be found in the building. We formed a group of 5 people. The building we have selected is Starhill Gallery in Kuala Lumpur. We selected a date to visit to the place. During the visitation, we took photos to put into our report. We also observe and identify the material use for the parts of the building. In the report, we explained 3 types of building materials which are stone, glass and timber. 
Midterm test
        We had our midterm test for this module. For me, I think the midterm test is quite straight forward which we can easily understand the module by reading the lecture notes prepared by Puan Has. By paying attention in the class, students are able to answer the questions.
Site visit report
We formed a line when entering into the building.



Some building materials that I found on the site.
        We had a site visit to the construction site in Cyberjaya which is Symphony Hills. We went there on the 29th of November. It was the first time I went to a construction site. During the site visit, I have seen various building materials on the site. I think It was a good experience as I gained knowledge from there. It gives me a better understanding in this field of construction industries.

Reflection
       Throughout the 14 weeks, I have learnt a lot and achieved the learning outcomes of the module. I have learnt the importance of group power. It is good to learn independently but in group project,  I have learnt how to work together with my group members. I also learnt to manage my time well to avoid rushing in the last minutes. From the presentation, I learnt to speak in front of my classmates and the lecturer. I also able to make my presentation slides as simple as possible as a technique to effectively transfer information to others.  Besides, I also think critically to achieve a better understanding in this module. Other than that, I able to put theories into practice when I had my site visit to Symphony Hills in Cyberjaya. Now, I can identify the materials use for a building.

No comments:

Post a Comment