Sunday 16 December 2012

English


I have improve my English writting and speaking skills through the lecture in my English class. I am not good in English before, but since i entered university, i began trying to speak English with my friends so that i could improve it. English 1 is a compulsory subject for students in FNBE and here are 3 parts of assignment which i have done.

i) Essay Writing
ii) Listening test
iii) Oral test


i) Essay Writing

There are a lot of activities and assignments that we need to fulfill in English 1. We were given an essay topic by our lecturer and everyone must write our own essay without copying from the internet or
any other resources available because it is considered as plagiarism. The first step of doing an essay is pre-writing. Pre-writing is important as you can jot down your points in a piece of paper and then later on you can elaborate them. Just in case that we ran out of ideas , we can then refer to the website to search for the relevant information, but we are require to cite the author and where were the resources from. In other words, we have to give citation if we refer to any other resources. I have spent a lot of time to check my essay writing as it carries a handful of marks.

ii) Listening test

Our lecturer gave us few recordings to listen about and fill in the blank spaces in the work sheets based on what we heard before the listening test. I think that listening test was quite a big challenge for me because i am not used to listening  English with the British/American 'accent'. Thus, it was hard for me to fill the blanks  with the correct answers. The listening test was carried out in a lecture theater. I was quite nervous that time.  The lecturer repeated the recording twice. I guess that i  was not confident enough as i did not dare to write the answer i heard in the work sheet in the first time of recording. While the recording was being played the second time, i had to  force myself to listen to the recording clearly, but there was some important points that i clearly missed. To be honest, my listening skill is not strong enough to catch the words and so i decided to start listening to the radio and news from now on!!

iii) Oral test

There are 2 parts of oral test. One of them was the video recording. I have 7 memebers in my group and the theme of our video is on comedy. Everyone of us did take part in the video recording, we  tried to make it the best but sadly the sound effect was not nice enough because of some technical problem and that the background sound was too loud but i have to admit that we have done it with the full commitment form everyone and i appreciate that so much. :)

We then were required to do the second part of our oral test which we have to form a group and have a visit to a tourism place. I  joined a group of  girls ( 5 including me ) and we went to Thean Hou Temple which is located in Kuala Lumpur. We took some photos of the temple which includes the architecture of the temple, the food serve in the temple and the activities can be done in the temple.  We  divided the work as well and my part is about 'the food serve in the temple'. During the presentation day, our group was the first group to present about our blog. I did some grammar mistakes and the lecturer corrected me.

Here are some photos taken during the visitation to the Thean Hou Temple.









- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - The End :) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

No comments:

Post a Comment