Saturday 3 December 2016

Construction Law (QSB 4414)

Construction Law has been taught by Mr Wong Chong Wei, a part time lecturer. This module covers Contracts Act, FIDIC Contract, and PAM Contract. Throughout the lecture series, several topics were being highlighted in class such as Formation of Construction Contracts as a basic knowledge, CIPAA 2012 and FIDIC Contract which can be used internationally.

Every students are given chance to conduct a seminar during the tutorials session. The seminars were carried out after the lectures have been conducted where selected students have to present their understanding towards the topic discussed in the previous lecture. The seminar is conducted by two students in a group where the students are assessed based on RICS Professional Practice competency test which comprised of 3 Levels:

Level 1: tests on our knowledge towards the topic discussed
Level 2: tests on the ability to apply knowledge into application
Level 3: test on the ability to give advice

During my time of being a seminar leader on Week 3, I found out that I hasn’t fully grasp the skills of answering the questions asked and giving appropriate advise. Thus, I shall read more and practice on my analysis and speaking skills in order to improve Level 2 and 3. However, I was able to figure out the solutions to the questions under the guidance of Mr Wong. Throughout the seminar, I gained experience on the type of answer expected for the RICS Professional Practice competency test. By understanding the entire process, I am able to focus on my weaker parts.

On the other hand, an overnight FIDIC workshop has been carried out on 20-21 October 2016 where the workshop was hosted by Ms Eugenie Lip, Executive Director of Davis Langdon KPK based in Singapore. Before the workshop was conducted, we were assigned into a group of 14 people, combination of Sem 5 juniors and us. We were given a case study assignment which comes along with 16 questions to be solved by using clauses in PAM and FIDIC Form. Of course, we distributed works fairly and work as a team with juniors. On the presentation day, few members from the group were selected to present on the stage. I believe that every member have contributed the best efforts towards this workshop. From the workshop conducted, I realised that team building and well communication among the group members are very important in completing a task.

Although this subject is said to be similar to Professional Practice 2 that I have learnt in Semester 5. However, it was found to be more difficult as this subject require a more in-depth understanding towards case laws and other contract form other than PAM Form. By taking this module, I believed that I have gained knowledge about the different types of construction contract used in the industry. 

Last but not least, I would like to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude to Mr Wong towards his knowledge sharing and advises given throughout the classes.

 Group Photo taken after FIDIC Workshop.

Photo taken with the lecturer, Mr Wong.

No comments:

Post a Comment